Capitol Hill Coodinator (Short Term)
Every Voice seeks short term staffing for its Capitol Hill-related work in early 2017 through either a consulting contract or interim hire.
Every Voice works to reduce the influence of money in politics and raise the voices of everyday people in our political system. We are a nimble, campaign-oriented organization using complementary strategies of fighting to win federal, state, and local policy reforms; engaging in accountability work, including electorally-related; building coalitional relationships; and deploying all the modern tools of communications. Every Voice knows we must build political power in order to win tangible change in the way our elections are financed. Every Voice values innovation, inclusivity, equity, collaboration, nimbleness, creativity, and internal transparency as the hallmarks of our work.
Our Capitol Hill plans in the early part of this year include: coordinating the rollout of two important, updated small-donor driven public financing measures, Rep. John Sarbanes’s Government by the People Act and Sen. Dick Durbin’s Fair Elections Now Act; tracking other pertinent legislation; and establishing relationships with new House and Senate offices.
- Organizational endorsements of legislation by diverse and allied advocacy groups;
- Planning sessions with key allies;
- Assistance to the lead sponsors of each bill in securing co-sponsors;
- Coordination of external public communications for the bill introductions;
- Policy review of the new editions of these measures for the 115th Congress;
- Tracking other small donor public financing measures and engaging when/if necessary;
- Reaching out to make contacts with staff in new House and Senate offices; and
- Internal communications, logistics, and staff involvement regarding the rollouts within Every Voice.
In addition, this short-term position will assist in communication with Members of Congress and our organizational allies in Capitol Hill accountability campaigns related to the incoming administration’s promises to “drain the swamp” in Washington, DC, defend against any weakening of existing campaign finance laws, and assist in monitoring other relevant Hill-related activities.
The Capitol Hill Coordinator will work with closely with Every Voice’s staff who oversee and execute communications, digital outreach, coalition outreach, and policy analysis for the organization.
- Five years or more of legislative advocacy experience at the federal level and strong relationships with current Congressional staff and Members;
- Experience in management of bill introductions;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Experience working with or managing coalitions;
- Ability to prioritize workload and complete tasks accurately and in a timely manner; and
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse coalition.
Knowledge of and experience working on money and politics issues is valued, but not required.
Salary or monthly retainer is commensurate with experience. Position is full-time (or similar but flexible, if a consulting contract) and based in the organization’s Washington, D.C. office.
Three to five months, beginning February 1.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Please submit, by January 18, a resume or consulting proposal, and a cover letter including desired compensation to jobs(at)everyvoice(dot)org. Please make sure to note where you saw this listing in your cover letter.
Every Voice provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity or expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. Every Voice encourages applications from individuals of diverse backgrounds.