House Democrats’ By the People Project Would Restore Faith in Government
Washington, D.C. — House Democrats’ By the People Project would reduce the power of big money in our elections, raise the voices of everyday people, and add transparency and accountability to our elections, money-in-politics watchdog Every Voice said in a statement today. The package of bills was introduced Tuesday by Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, House Democracy Reform Task Force Co-Chair Rep. John Sarbanes, and other members of the Task Force.
“As the Trump administration and Republicans in Congress hand out favors to corporate interests and tax breaks to big donors, House Democrats have offered a bold, comprehensive plan to put regular people back in charge,” said Nick Nyhart, founding executive of Every Voice. “Passing these policies would begin to restore Americans’ faith that their elected officials work for them.”
The comprehensive By the People Project includes:
- Reducing the influence of big money by increasing the power of small donors
- Overturning the Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision so Congress can enact common sense limits on what big donors and corporations can spend on politics
- Rebuilding the Federal Election Commission so it can hold candidates accountable
- Reforming redistricting rules so that people choose their elected officials, not the other way around
- Increasing transparency in political spending so Americans know the big donors trying to influence their vote
- Making it easier—not harder—to vote
- Strengthening our nation’s ethics and conflicts-of-interest rules to make certain elected officials and federal appointees are working for all Americans
The By the People Project was announced Tuesday at a press conference on Capitol Hill featuring Leader Pelosi, Rep. Sarbanes, and other House Democrats.
“We commend House Democrats for introducing this package of reforms and look forward to working with them and people around the country on these popular and concrete ways to reduce the power of big money and raise the voices of everyday people in our elections,” said Nyhart
Every Voice is a national organization fighting for a democracy that works for everyone. Learn more at everyvoice.org.