Every Voice Endorses We the People Democracy Reform Act of 2017
Washington, D.C. — Today, Senator Tom Udall (D-N.M.) and Representative David Price (D-N.C.) introduced bicameral legislation, the We the People Democracy Reform Act of 2017, to ensure our democracy works for everyone, not just millionaire and billionaire donors. Money-in-politics reform group Every Voice endorsed the comprehensive plan, saying these reforms are necessary to put power into the hands of everyday people.
“Congress needs to counter the common belief that our government is working for big donors and not for everyone else,” said Nick Nyhart, founding executive of Every Voice. “Instead of making good on President Trump’s promise to drain the swamp of wealthy special interests, Republicans in Washington have prioritized passing a health care repeal at the behest of their big donors and tax cuts to benefit big donors. Senator Udall, Representative Price, and their colleagues have instead offered necessary and popular reforms to ensure our elected leaders are working for all of their constituents, not just those able to write large checks.”
In addition to including Senator Dick Durbin’s (D-Ill.) essential Fair Elections Now Act, which would empower small donors with programs to match their donations and amplify their voices, the legislation would:
- Increase public reporting and transparency of secret money in our elections
- Strengthen the lobbying laws in Washington
- Put new limits on unlimited campaign contributions flowing in ever since the disastrous Citizens United Supreme Court decision
- Strengthen enforcement of existing campaign finance laws and strengthen the law to prevent conflicts of interest
- Address the problem of gerrymandering through redistricting reform and make it easier for all Americans to register to vote and cast their ballot
A full summary of the legislation can be found here.
The bill is co-sponsored by U.S. Senators Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.), Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), Ron Wyden (D-Ore.), Richard Durbin (D-Ill.), Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.), Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), Al Franken (D-Minn.), Tammy Baldwin (D-Wisc.), Angus King (I-Maine), Edward J. Markey (D-Mass.), Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii), Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), and Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.).
Every Voice is a national organization fighting for a democracy that works for everyone.